Facing challenges, head-on is what Vanseal does every day – which is why their customers trust them to deliver tested and proven, material and design solutions that improve the performance of their seals, no matter how tough the environment.
High-Pressure, High Eccentricity Seal Solution Demonstrates 50% Improvement
– On pressure and side-load performance of a fluid application
Recently, a customer was having difficulty with a seal failure on a fluid power application. The high-pressure, high-eccentricity seal operates in conditions up to 200,000 pv at 3000 psi and could not exceed maximum shaft deflection of 0.005″.
Vanseal works with these types of seal applications frequently and used a Unitized Seal that uses several components to address each of the various sealing challenges.
Vanseal’s solution for its high-pressure, high-eccentricity seal incorporated these key elements:
- Primary Seal Lip – Made from a high-modulus elastomer, to reduce lip extrusion and inversion under pressure, better distributing high-pressure forces to enhance sealing
- Machined PTFE Backup Lip – Used to reduce the risk of extrusion and inversion of the Primary Seal Lip
- Support Washer – Designed to close the extrusion gap between the seal ID and shaft under high, shaft-deflection conditions
- Excluder Lip – Works to keep contaminants from entering the assembly system
- Metal Case – Serves as a carrier for the seal components creating a single unit to install, and thus reducing instances of installation errors caused by multi-piece installations and reducing individually purchased and inventoried items.
Vanseal has been manufacturing highly specialized seal components for over 60 years
- Sealing systems are tricky and using a stock seal manufactured for typical high-pressure applications may not be enough to absorb high-shaft deflection.
- Our experienced engineers have in-depth knowledge on how to address these difficult sealing challenges.
- Along with engineering, we maintain the highest standards in quality testing and manufacturing methods.
The original article can be found on Vanseal’s website.
To learn more about Vanseal’s products, speak to a Gallagher representative today by calling 1-800-822-4063