What is DiamondFace Technology?
DiamondFace is an innovative microcrystalline diamond coating for mechanical seals. It is extremely hard and offers high wear protection, excellent heat conductivity, maximum chemical resistance and low friction. The coating adhesion also exceeds all known practical requirements. This increases the service life of mechanical seals several times over, the maintenance intervals are extended accordingly and the life cycle costs are greatly reduced.
The diamond thin-layer technology was developed in 2007 by EagleBurgmann together with the Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering and Thin Films (IST), the Fraunhofer Institute for Ceramic Technologies and Systems (IKTS), Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials (IWM), the Condias GmbH, and the Forschungszentrum Jülich. EagleBurgmann has established DiamondFace for mechanical seals as a series-produced product – the very first on the market.
The technology behind it is a microcrystalline diamond layer up to 15 μm thick which is applied to the seal face under vacuum at temperatures of 2,000 °C (3,632 °F) by chemical vapor deposition (CVD). The properties of this diamond layer are where you benefit. Primarily from its extreme hardness and robustness.
Increased Service Life of Mechanical Seals
Mechanical seals are a factor that has a decisive effect on the cost-effectiveness of your operation because their wear determines the productivity of the entire system, whether it is a pump, agitator or compressor. What causes damage to the seal faces? One reason is dry running which is often unavoidable due to insufficient lubrication or when gas-lubricated seal faces get in contact. The resulting temperature rise causes the seal to wear. And ultimately results in system downtimes.
EagleBurgmann has solved this problem which directly affects the success of your plant. Thanks to DiamondFace, the service life of mechanical seals is increased several times over, the maintenance intervals are extended accordingly and the life cycle costs are greatly reduced. The advantages for the operator are clear:
Feature & Benefits of DiamondFace
- Minimal friction: Tolerant to dry running, low heat generation, less cooling capacity required
- Minimal wear: Unparalleled wear resistance, long operating period, highest chemical and corrosion resistance
- Excellent adhesion: extremely robust and solved problem of crack defects & flaking, no de-lamination
- Optimal surface flatness: full functional reliability
EagleBurgmann DiamondFace Products
- eCartex: Universal mechanical seals for centifugal pumps; up to 80% savings on power consumption; operating periods can be extended by more than 100%
- DiamondFace for engineered pump seals: Used in pipeline and multiphase pumps for oil & gas; maximum robustness even under extreme conditions; High availability and minimal maintenance
- DiamondFace for feedwater pumps: resistant to electrochemical corrosion in feedwater pumps; no conditioning of the cooling circuit required; Operating periods of 40,000 hours and more
- DiamondFace for compressor seals: For cricital operating conditions; No impairment of the life-off capacity; Considerable reduction of risk of damage/failure; Greatly increased safety
- DiamondFace for sliding bearing: Axial and radial bearings for magnetic couplings and pumps under high-stress; Maximum wear protection; Leak-free and maintenance-free pumping/mixing
The Success of DiamondFace Technology
Numerous applications in the fields of oil & gas, refineries, chemical, slurry, pharma, and water supply are a testament to the added value that DiamondFace can bring to the overall performance of a facility. This innovation has thousands of success stories relating to its application in a vast range of industrial sectors. Worldwide.
Gallagher Seals is a preferred distributor of EagleBurmann mechanical seals.
For more information about DiamondFace technology and how it can help your facility with maximum uptime, contact us today.