Article re-posted with permission from Parker Hannifin Sealing & Shielding Team.
Original content can be found on Parker’s Website and was written by Vivek Sarasam, heavy duty mobile Sr. application engineer, and Jeffrey Labonte, market manager.
What can be done if a bore requires radial sealing but lack of a lead-in chamfer prevents the installation of a seal? A situation like this occurs, for instance, when an existing bore should be closed with a cover and space around the bore is too small for a classic flange seal. A seal would not survive an attempt to install it in a bore without a lead-in chamfer. Part of the seal would be sheared off at the edge of the bore even if the edge was chamfered or rounded.
The principle: rolling instead of sliding
The Roll2Seal® concept solves this problem. Instead of destructively squeezing the seal at the critical edge, it is simply designed to roll across it. This is achieved by providing the cover with a geometry which, together with the edge of the bore, forces the seal to rotate. Subsequently, the triangular cross-section of the seal makes it possible for the seal to roll off at the dangerous edge of the bore with a minimum seal height and thus without risk of seal damage.
Roll2Seal® -the self-retaining static sealing solution for easy and reliable closure of bores
- Innovative geometry
- No lead-in chamfer
- No deburring
- No lubrication
- Immune to unbroken edges of the bore
- Metal or plastic cover
- Available in pre-assembled condition
- Easy installation
- Suitable for repeated and overhead installation
- Space- and cost-saving
Practical Applications are found
- where bores already exist for subsequent installation of additional component assemblies but require effective temporary or permanent sealing (e.g. for test runs or shipping),
- where lubrication during the assembly process is not possible,
- where non-pressurized systems require reliable sealing without screw connections.
Check out the video and see how it works:
For more information about these new self-retaining static seals from Parker, contact Gallagher Fluid Seals today. GFS is an authorized distributor of Parker.