Vesconite Hilube is a hard-wearing, non-water absorbing, and self-lubricating alternative to oil-film main guide bearings. They also run no risk of water contamination and reduce downtime and maintenance, resulting in cost savings.
Seven years ago, Vesconite supplied, machined, and fitted the link-arms and change ring controlling the wicket gates on America's Hoover Dam. This maintance free, self lubricating bushing has performed flawlessly.
Vesconite Hilube was selected to replace the existing cast iron pressure relief valves at Hoover Dam, which had oxidized and seized, preventing the valves from functioning. Self lubricating, hard-wearing, corrosion free... PERFECT.
The environmentally sensitive hydro-power industry requires components that last longer in the absence of contaminating lubricants. These two factors alone make Vesconite Hilube the ideal bushing and bearing material in these demanding conditions. Water serves as a natural lubricant for Vesconite Hilube, which in turn, ensures a clean and grease-free operating environment. Unlike many traditional materials, Vesconite Hilube does not swell in water, nor does it distort or creep under load within wet hydro-power settings. Therefore not only does Vesconite last longer, so does it’s metal counterparts.
- Vesconite Hilube does not require external lubrication, avoiding water contamination.
- Vesconite Hilube can run dry – important for pump start-up and priming.
- Water is a natural lubricant for Vesconite Hilube.
- Vesconite Hilube does not swell in water, reducing risk of seizure and allowing for close tolerances.
- Vesconite Hilube has a low friction coefficient, eliminating vibration and the stick-slip effect.
- Vesconite Hilube’s unique combination of properties ensures long life and little downtime.
- Wicket gate bushings
- Kaplan main turbine bushings
- Trash rake cleaning machines
- Pump bushings
- Valve bushings
- Screen bushings
- Traditional bushings require costly maintenance downtime time on pump turbines.
- Metal or rubber bushes can degrade quickly in dirty and abrasive environments e.g trash rake pivot points.
- The low friction of Vesconite Hilube avoids stick slip on pressure relief valve guides.**
- Wicket gate bushing lubrication is often difficult due to the micro-oscillating movements associated with this application. Vesconite Hilube’s self-lubricating properties avoids this entirely.
Mouse over the above images to learn more about these products. Consult a Gallagher Engineer with specific application questions.