In river water, which tends to have significant suspended debris and sand, rudder bearings can be susceptible to rapid wear. With Vesconite's low wear, self-lubrication, and easy installation, its the ideal material for this application.
Vesconite, and Vesconite Hilube in particular, are ideal for the submerged and corrosive conditions of the marine industry. Over the past 50 years, hundreds of industrial and leisure marine applications – from yachts to supertankers – have been equipped with Vesconite and Vesconite Hilube.
Able to withstand high loads without wearing, dimensional stability in water, and resistance to UV rays make Vesconite an ideal material to use in the pulley system of sailing blocks.
Vesconite, and Vesconite Hilube in particular, are ideal for the submerged and corrosive conditions of the marine industry. Suited to both dry and underwater applications, Vesconite’s internal lubricants allow for prolonged life where the setting is characterized by irregular greasing schedules, or no greasing at all. Unlike most bearing materials, Vesconite offers long wear life and a high load-bearing capacity with no distortion or delamination, despite the wet and abrasive working environment. Vesconite is easily removed and refitted, saving in costly downtime. Over the past 50 years, hundreds of industrial and leisure marine applications – from yachts to supertankers – have been equipped with Vesconite and Vesconite Hilube, testifying to its success in this industry.
- Vesconite does not swell or distort in water.
- Vesconite does not delaminate or distort under higher loads.
- Vesconite does not corrode.
- Vesconite does not require lubrication.
- Vesconite is resistant to oils and fuels.
- Vesconite bearings are easy to fit and remove.
- Vesconite prolongs shaft life
- Stern tube bearings
- Rudder bearings
- Marine winch bearings
- On-board machinery bearings
- Container ship hatch covers
- Bronze has a high friction rating and requires lubrication. Vesconite is self-lubricating and has a low friction coefficient.
- Elastomers lack dimensional stability and have a high thermal expansion. This is not the case with Vesconite.
- Laminated and composite materials tend to absorb water and swell.
- Rubber has high friction and causes stick-slip, resulting in vibration and high shaft wear.
Mouse over the above images to learn more about these products. Consult a Gallagher Engineer with specific application questions.